Thursday, July 17, 2014

Of Turnip Bakes and Shopping Lists

So, exercise didn't go as planned thanks to Mother Nature causing some local flooding and insane Thunderstorms. Hopefully next week will go better for that. I"ve also decided that when we can't get out of the house to exercise we can walk laps around the house for set periods of time, starting with 20 minute intervals. Also, I have Kinect, so there is that too. Better luck and dedication in the future, hopefully.

Eating is still going strong. My veggie supplies are starting to dwindle, but thankfully tomorrow is Friday and time for a Produce Junction and Grocery Store run. I am craving Red Peppers like crazy, and I ran out of the last of my Green, Yellow, and Orange ones last night. Cauliflower and Carrots in the mean time. My favorite breakfast right now is eggs scrambled with spinach, tomatoes, and diced onions, with just a little cheese sprinkled over the top. I've lost my taste for our wraps, because unfortunately we didn't read the label to see how processed they were when we got them in our early excitement of dieting, but that's alright it makes them healthier anyway if I cut out the excessive carbohydrates. I have nothing against gluten and flour (unless it is bleached and processed) but I do prefer to get my carbs from potatoes, corn, beans, and other veggies. I also find I'm able to tell if food is processed just from tsting it, or at least some foods. The wraps as mentioned, also our cottage cheese that I didn't think to look at, but has artificial flavoring and other chemicals in. So, yay for that improvement I guess :)

We made the Turnip Bake last night. It was, okay. I think I'll stick to recommendations that suggest  mixing turnips with other vegetables like potatoes, cauliflower, and carrots in the future. By themselves they do have a rather off-putting bitter taste, especially when I don't want to add a lot of sugar to them to counteract that. But, it wasn't terrible. I can't say I dislike turnips, but they certainly aren't my favorite vegetable. Next time I'll be putting them in a mash with potato, celery, carrot, onion, and cauliflower. Maybe that recipe will be good enough to post up here :)

This coming week I plan to make Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf Cups, which is basically miniature Turkey Meatloafs with chunks of veggies inside them, maybe some Vegetable Chili, and I am really excited for the Curried Vegetables Simmered in Coconut Milk I have planned :)

Here is what my Grocery List for tomorrow looks like:

Produce Junction:
Kale
Carrots
Tomatoes
Butternut Squash
Cauliflower
Red Peppers
Onions
Coconut
Avocado
Strawberries
Blueberries
Cilantro
Basil
Garlic

Grocery Store:
Bananas
Mixed Nuts
Canned Green Beans (I still can't stomach these fresh or frozen)
Canned Beets
Canned Beans
Canned Sliced Olives
Ground Turkey/Chicken
H2O

And of course I will be ordering my Maple supplies as soon as my check is posted to my account tonight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment